Not Only Sea
Tourist itineraries on the coast and the Pontine Islands
Let yourself be inspired and discover all the beauties of the Pontine coast and its islands.
Villa of Tiberius
The Villa of Tiberius is a large Roman villa, which belonged in the 1st century AD. to the Roman emperor Tiberius, located in the town of Sperlonga, in the province of Latina, in Lazio (the ancient Latium adiectum ). The villa has been included in the tour of the National Archaeological Museum of Sperlonga since 1963 …
The Pontine coast from Sperlonga to Fondi, passing through Gaeta and Terracina
One hundred kilometers of continental coast, an alternation of thin sand, precipitous rocks, quiet ports, cities with ancient traditions, monumental signs of a warlike spirit that the centuries have sweetly calmed down.
The Pontine Islands: Ponza Ventotene and the others
A handful of volcanic rocks of extraordinary colors, scattered in the center of the Tyrrhenian Sea, Ventotene and Ponza, with the cortege of uninhabited islets: Palmarola, Zannone, Gavi and Santo Stefano.
Itineraries between history, art and culture
Imperial villas and patrician residences, the national archaeological museum of Sperlonga, ancient villages, polygonal walls, medieval protections, dense urban fabrics, soaring bell towers, strong and frank characters, serene landscapes, the paths of transhumance, the Karst environments: scenery of the Lepine villages , ausoni, aurunci. Parks, oases, spas and more.
Caetani Castle of Sermoneta
The castle can be visited all year round and is open all week except Thursdays. From October to March the visits are from 2pm to 4pm, while from April to September the first visit is at 2pm and the last at 10pm. In addition to guided tours, managed by the “Roffredo Caetani Foundation” founded by Lelia Caetani, the castle is the seat of prestigious cultural meetings and is inhabited for long periods of the year by artists and scholars. In spring, inhabited by the restorers of the International Center of Studies for the Conservation and Restoration of Cultural Heritage, to protect the rooms called “Pint rooms”, the façade of the Old Kitchen. In summer it is time for the “Pontine Music Festival” (an appointment strongly desired by Lelia Caetani (1913-1977), the last heir of the dynasty, and by her husband Hubert Howard who established it in 1963 in memory of the composer Roffredo Caetani, father of Lelia and husband of Marguerite Caetaniand the events organized by the “International Music Campus”.
Fossanova Abbey is located in the municipality of Priverno, 5 km south of the urban center, on the border with the municipality of Sonnino, in the province of Latina. Fossanova Abbey is located in the municipality of Priverno, 5 km south of the urban center, on the border with the municipality of Sonnino, in the province of Latina. The abbey, whose construction lasted from 1163 to 1208, is a perfect example of the first Italian Gothic style, indeed more precisely of a visible form of transition from Romanesque to Gothic; the interior is bare or almost bare of frescoes (some shreds remain on the walls, at least until 1998) according to the austere memento mori of the Cistercian monks. In the infirmary there is the room where St. Thomas Aquinas lived, prayed and meditated in the last days of his life and where he died in 1274; still today the simple empty tomb is preserved in the church (the body was transferred by the Dominicans to Toulouse at the end of the 14th century) made up of a rectangular marble or travertine slab.
Built in rigorous Romanesque-Gothic–Cistercian style, it is one of the greatest masterpieces of its kind in the province after the Fossanova abbey. Tradition has it that this abbey was founded in the 8th century by Greek monks and was occupied and restored by the Templars in the 13th century. When this order was dissolved in the 14th century, the Cistercians took over.